Saturday, August 25, 2012

Mesmerized


This piece is a descriptive writing piece. They, most of the time, don't really have a story. Which is kind of crazy, considering I'm still calling them stories. Anyway. Getting off topic. What I mean is, they're descriptions. They just focus on the current scene and that's all. So the lack of a storyline, in this case, is, funnily enough, expected. They're basically meant to take you to that time and place, in the character's POV. Here goes nothing...



Bubbles surrounded the crowd, softly popping as they grew tired, round and glistening in the sun. The trees swayed with the wind, ruffling, the leaves whispering my name against the velvet cherry blossoms, the sweet smell of the nectar intruding my senses amongst all others. The incessant chattering was mute to my ears, the shuffling motion around me in frames and the hot, dazzling sun shining down upon me, illuminating all. My heart was beating hard against my chest, such peace that it was, in contrast, getting harder and harder to breathe. I twirled slowly, again and again, taking everything in, mesmerized.

Central Park was beautiful. None of the pictures did it any justice, glorifying the bustling coffee shops and sweaty joggers instead. That, of course, was an alternate world of its own.  But the  orange sun, tainting the red-pink sky was besting all of it, and for a scrawny, thin little girl from India, it was enough to take my breath away.
Never before had I seen such serenity, such synchronisation. Never before had I found the steady beating of the wind, cold in my face, so harmoniously in tandem with the gurgling of the river, making me feel all warm inside. Never before had I seen such perfection. Enthralled, I stood there, frozen- flushed and amazed.

My parents stared at me, puzzled and confounded.  Here, a whole kingdom of green, soft grass with little pathways and streams. A whole playground! Enough space to run around and play to my heart’s content. But there I was, mouth agape, eyes wide, body twirling, mind running. They probably thought that I was still coping from leaving India, leaving home. But they were wrong. That kicked in later.  For now, I was amazed and excited. I was free. And at that moment, I knew, that I would remember everything, all down to the last detail, forever mesmerized.
THE END.

No comments:

Post a Comment